3/06/2008

Two New Ice Creams - Two Quick Reviews!!

Haagen-Dazs 'Toasted Coconut Sesame Brittle'
I had such high hopes for this one. I love ice cream; I love sweet coconut stuff; and I love brittle/toffee crunchy things. But this one did not deliver. This was the runner-up (to Sticky Toffee Pudding) in the 2007 Flavor challenge. I had been waiting to see this go on sale before I tried it because I refuse to pay $5 for a pint of ice cream and I denounce Haagen-Dazs for trying to pull off the special edition "Reserve Flavors" thing that supposedly warrants a more premium price than their already overpriced pints. So I bought one the other day when they were on sale for $3.99. Anyway, I'll sum it up in one statement: There's no brittle! There's coconut blended in and the sweet cream flavor is good, but there were only remnants of sesame seeds and slight gooey toffee drops. I was expecting crunchy, sesame, toffee pieces. The carton makes it seem like big hunks of Almond Roca are going to be hidden in there but it was not to be.

Ben & Jerry's 'Imagine Whirled Peace'
There is a John Lennon tie-in with this one, but who really cares. How does it taste? Good! I give this one 4 out of 5 stars. The caramel & sweet cream ice creams are a dynamite blend and they fold in chocolate peace signs (whatever) and toffee cookie pieces (fantastic). Give this one a shot. I am a sucker for any ice cream with cookies (not cookie dough) in it (except oreos).

No comments: