4/26/2007

Pringles Select

Here's another new product that comes in four varieties - three of which I tried. By the way, I've made a new rule for myself - If a new product comes in 4 or more flavors/varieties, I must try at least 2 of them before reviewing it.

So I tried the "Szechuan Barbecue," "Sun-Dried Tomato" and "Cinnamon Sweet Potato"


Quick thoughts - these things rock! Also, a couple interesting surprises:
a) They're much smaller than I expected. I was thinking regular pringles size, but they're really about the size of silver dollars.
b) They are not all potato-based! The Cinnamon ones are sweet potato and the Szechuan ones are rice-based.

"Cinnamon Sweet Potato" - these are interesting. Tasty, but you must know your mood. They are sweet and not exactly what you're craving when you want that salty, "grab-at-it" munchy snack. They tiptoe on the edge of the dessert genre. A-

"Szechuan Barbecue" - These are my favorite. They are rice-based but don't be fooled - they're not like a rice cake if that's what you were thinking. They are certainly chips. And WOW, are they zesty. Seriously, they take your palate on a complex journey through about 3 different zest zones, all timed out perfectly throughout the 25-second crunch and ingestion process. A+

"Sun-Dried Tomato" - These are good too - no real losers in the Pringles Select class. The "S-D Tomatoes" are potato-based (as are the Parmesan Garlic ones that I didn't try). They most closely resemble regular mini-pringles, but still elevate themselves above the canister with a sophisticated baked in sun-dried tomato flavor with a zesty salsa kicker. These might be the saltiest of the bunch, but still pretty decent. B+

No comments: