Apparently these things come in steak or chicken. More on that later. Let me first comment on the "dipping sauces" that were offered by the drive-through guy at the Bell - none of them are actually "sauces." Sour Cream? - not a sauce. Guacamole? - yummy, but not a sauce. The third choice was something he called "red sauce," even though it was clearly Salsa. Technically, salsa is not a "sauce" in my book, but I guess it was the closest of the three. I had the Guacamole which was surprisingly good.Now, speaking of the drive-through guy, here's an excerpt from the actual conversation I had through the speaker when I drove up:
"Would you like to try our new Carne Asada Steak Grilled Taquitos?" - "Yes I would like to try them. In fact that's exactly why I'm here."
"Would you like chicken or steak?" - "Oh, I didn't know you could get it with chicken.
"Yeah, Chicken or Steak" - Can I get one of each?"
"So you want one steak and one chicken?" - "That's right."
"Okay, and what dipping sauce do you want?" - "What are the choices?"
"Guacamole, Sour Cream, or Red Sauce." - "Okay, I'll take Guacamole."
"For both of them?" - "Oh, I thought I only got one sauce"
"You ordered two, so you get two." - "Wait, how many come in an order, 2 right?"
"Yeah" - "Well, yeah, I only wanted one order"
"You said you wanted one steak and one chicken" - "Yeah, I only want one order of taquitos with one steak and one chicken, not two of each."
"Oh, so you only want one chicken and one steak?" - "Yeah, can you do that?"
"No, we cant do that."
I ended up with steak. They weren't bad. But let's get something out of the way regarding these taquitos - By rule, they're not actually taquitos!! Taquitos are supposed to be made with corn tortillas and fried crispy. These are rolled flour tortillas and they are not fried crispy, they are soft. And, they're a little bigger than taquitos normally are. So really, they're more like rolled tacos or soft "flautas." And the filling is not exactly what you'd normally find in a taquito either. It is basically just steak (or chicken) and cheese melted together.
Now, Taco Bell has never been afraid of creating their own new products (things that have never before appeared on a Mexican food menu in the history of the world). But usually they come up with their own new names for them (Enchirito, Crunchwrap Supreme, Cheesy Gordita Crunch).
So the problem here is not with how the taquitos taste (they're decently yummy), but rather with the fact that they are calling them "taquitos." They disappointed me in their lack of creativity with this one. I suggest the following alternate names:
- "Cheesy Flautaritos"
- "Cheesy Steak Sticks"
- "Steak-ums" (possible trademark infringement issues here)
- "Cheesesteak Tacarito Rollin' Dippers"
No comments:
Post a Comment